State Spinal Cord Injury Service
Spinal Seating Modules
Evaluation of client seating and wheeled mobility equipment
This module aims to describe the evaluation process for seating and wheeled mobility components.
Client equipment should be evaluated to determine the effectiveness of current equipment and to explore the suitability of proposed equipment.
A systematic record of the current seating and wheeled mobility systems enables the clinician to:
- Compare the client’s existing seating and wheelchair with their recently assessed seating and mobility requirements (see Module 2, Module 3 and Module 4)
- Identify features or specifications related to the client's needs
- Identify support and maintenance issues with the existing system
- Assess effectiveness of the existing system for the client, (what works/ what does not work)
- Identify possible trauma or pressure risks, e.g. sharp edges, protruding parts, poor padding
- Recognise the prioritisation of seating goals and urgency for intervention
- Identify needs for the adjustment of current equipment or the prescription of new equipment
- Identify changes in seating configuration that may have occurred over time, intentionally and unintentionally, as compared to a previous record, and
- Communicate clearly and precisely dimensions and configurations between therapists and supporting individuals.
An evaluation of potential future equipment should facilitate:
- Documentation and confirmation of specifications to the supplier for quotation and prescription phases, and
- Improve accuracy and time efficiency in configuring the new system based on a detailed record of the trial system.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- List the tools required for evaluating the seating and wheeled mobility system
- Record relevant measurements of the system
- Inspect and describe components of the system, and
- Systematically summarise your findings to identify issues with the current system.
In this module
- Terms and definitions
- Evaluation process: seating and mobility systems
- Components of the seating system to be evaluated
- Seat and pressure care cushions
- Back support
- Other postural support devices
- Other assistive devices
- Evaluation of a manual wheelchair
- Evaluation of powered mobility
- Key concepts in this module
- Quiz for Module 5