Paediatric rehabilitation in NSW
In NSW, there are three specialist Paediatric Rehabilitation Services (PRS):
- Kids Rehab, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network (SCHN)
- Rehab2Kids, Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, SCHN
- HNEKidsRehab, Hunter New England Kids Health, Newcastle, Hunter New England Local Health District (HNELHD).
The PRS provide a tertiary and quaternary level of care and are led by a medical specialist and a multidisciplinary team. A small amount of paediatric rehabilitation occurs outside of these specialist services in local health districts and community settings.
The Henry Review
The Review of health services for children, young people and families within the NSW Health system (the Henry Review) was published in January 2020. It included 77 recommendations to NSW Health. The Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) has been responsible for addressing a number of the recommendations, including Recommendation 50: “The Ministry of Health works with specialist children’s hospitals and LHDs to better coordinate paediatric rehabilitation in NSW”. Recommendation 50 was the primary focus of this project.
The project and toolkit development
The ACI Rehabilitation Network led the project with oversight from the paediatric rehabilitation steering committee. The committee was comprised of paediatric clinicians and health service managers from specialist and non-specialist services across NSW, consumers and non-government organisation representatives.
To achieve the aim of “better coordination of paediatric rehabilitation in NSW”, ACI developed the Minimum standards for coordinated delivered of paediatric rehabilitation in NSW Health through a process of co-design and extensive consultation with clinicians and consumers via a series of workshops and interviews.
The toolkit is designed to be used to assist local health districts and specialty health networks in adopting these minimum standards.
The process by which the project evolved is outlined in Figure 1.
The following groups were consulted over the duration of this project:
- Members of the Paediatric Rehabilitation Steering Committee, as listed under ‘Acknowledgements’ below
- Over 300 clinicians working in local health districts and the three tertiary Paediatric Rehabilitation Services who participated in a series of four workshops in March 2022
- Seven families of children and young people who currently access Paediatric Rehabilitation Services in NSW
- Members of the LHD reference group.
PRS managers and rehabilitation medicine leads
- Julie-Anne Macey, A/Neurorehabilitation Manager
- Dr Simon Paget, Medical Lead
- Sophie Price, Neurorehabilitation Manager
- Angus Simpson, A/Neurorehabilitation Manager
- Dr Mary-Clare Waugh, Head of Department to June 2022
- Kate Clark, Rehabilitation Services Manager
- Dr Maria Kyriagis, Head of Department
- Dr Anna Ward, A/Head of Department
- Dr Heather Burnett, Medical Lead
- Gai Lovell, Service Manager
The Paediatric Rehabilitation Steering Committee
|Cathryn||Cox||Chief Executive, SCHN (Committee Co-Chair)|
|Jean-Frederic||Levesque||Chief Executive, ACI (Committee Co-Chair)|
|Carmel||Blayden||Allied Health Educator, Children’s Healthcare Network, Western, SCHN|
|Heather||Burnett||Medical Lead, HNEkidsRehab, HNELHD|
|Paul||Craven||Exec Director, Children, Young People & Families, HNELHD|
|Dianne||Croker||Manager, Brain Injury Network, ACI|
|Mary||Crum||Paediatric Network Manager, ACI|
|Andrew||Davison||Chief Allied Health Officer, Ministry of Health|
|Tara||Flemington||Paediatric Clinical Nurse Consultant, Mid-North Coast LHD|
|Matthew||Frith||Manager, Community Partnerships & Integrated Services, HNELHD|
|Sumitha||Gounden||Head of Department, Rehabilitation, Orange Health Service, Western NSW LHD|
|Levi||Hick||Manager, Southern Brain Injury Service, Southern NSW LHD|
|Jenni||Johnson||Stream Manager Trauma, Pain and Rehabilitation, ACI|
|Maria||Kyriagis||Head, Rehab2Kids, Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick, SCHN|
|Lynn||McCartney||Project Officer, Paediatric Rehabilitation, ACI (to Sept 2021)|
|Matthew||O’Meara||Chief Paediatrician, Ministry of Health|
|Simon||Paget||Staff Specialist, Kids Rehab, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, SCHN|
|Sandra||Pengilly||Clinical Program Director, Community, Ambulatory, Rehabilitation, Population & Allied Health, SCHN|
|John||Preddy||Clinical Director Paediatrics, Murrumbidgee LHD and ACI Paediatric Network Co-Chair|
|Sophie||Price||Project Officer, Paediatric Rehabilitation, ACI|
|Hannah||Read||Service Manager, Northcott|
|Neil||Rickwood||Implementation Officer, ACI|
|Louise||Sellars||Manager, Rehabilitation Network, ACI|
|Elizabeth||Shepherd||Project Officer, Paediatric Network, ACI|
|Linda||Soars||Clinical Associate Director – Acute Care for Children & Older People, ACI|
|Elise||Taylor||General Manager Strategy, Quality & Risk, Cerebral Palsy Alliance|
|Mary-Clare||Waugh||Head, Kids Rehab, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, SCHN|
|Melissa||Welsh||Director Allied Health, Far West LHD|