What we do
We are the lead agency for innovation in clinical care in NSW. We bring patients, clinicians and managers together to support the design and implementation of innovation in healthcare.
ACI innovations are:
- person-centred – we engage consumers as partners to redesign healthcare
- clinically-led – we draw on clinical leadership to build and drive improvements that will change practice
- evidence-based – we capture emerging innovations, assess the evidence and evaluate their transformative potential
- value-driven – we demonstrate value to patients and providers, and deliver outcomes for the system
- Clinical guidelines and models of care
- Patient engagement and co-design
- Clinical evidence generation and mobilisation
- Clinical innovation and research
- Clinical redesign
- Implementation support
- Evaluation and capability development.
The ACI was established in 2010, although our core work of clinical engagement and clinician-led improvements dates back many years.
The ACI’s clinical network model was developed from the pioneering work of its forerunners – the Greater Metropolitan Transition Taskforce and the Greater Metropolitan Clinical Taskforce.
The evolution of the ACI
The GMT2 was formed in response to recommendations by the Greater Metropolitan Services Implementation Group to establish integrated hospital networks across the greater metropolitan area.
Greater Metropolitan Clinical Taskforce (GMCT) established
The GMCT was established to continue the work of the GMT2 in engaging clinicians and consumers in health planning and implementation. The GMCT was also tasked with developing a cohesive plan for a number of specialised clinical services across the greater metropolitan region that extended to the Hunter, Illawarra and Blue Mountains areas.
The ACI was established as one of the four pillars of reform following the Garling Special Commission of Inquiry into Acute Care Services in NSW Public Hospitals. The ACI’s work is evident across NSW in the design and implementation of clinically-led innovations that improve patient outcomes.
Review of ACI organisational structure
Realignment of networks into clinical streams to enable greater collective expertise in addressing complex health problems.
The ACI supports and embraces the CORE values of NSW Health:
- We are connectors, co-designers and capacity-builders
- We leverage disruption and provide support for transformational change
- We combine creativity with rigour
- We strive for excellence and impact
- We value diversity and equity for all.