Published: July 2019
The Patient referral form – assessment for cataract surgery is for NSW public ophthalmology clinics to refer patients for cataract surgery.
The form and guidance material include:
- Assessment for cataract surgery - guidance for referrers
- Patient referral form (PRF) - Assessment for cataract surgery (Generic)
- Patient referral form (PRF) - Assessment for cataract surgery (Prince of Wales Hospital)
- Patient referral form (PRF) - Assessment for cataract surgery (Sydney Eye Hospital)
The Increasing Access to Cataract Surgery Forum in 2018 brought together expert clinicians, health service managers, representatives from the NSW Ministry of Health and ACI to identify:
- challenges for accessing cataract surgery
- successful models for improving access
- recommendations for implementation.
The Ophthalmology Network produced two reports on the topic:
- Business rules for ophthalmology clinics: A summary report of current practice
- High volume cataract surgery review of models and recommendations for NSW Health
Four hospitals piloted the form before publication.