Intellectual Disability training videos
This series of videos is designed to help health professionals understand the care needs of a person with intellectual disability.
Intellectual Disability and mental health by Dr Bruce Chenoweth
Dr Bruce Chenoweth (Developmental Psychiatrist) speaks about how there is a 60% prevalence of major mental illness and disorders amongst people with ID over their life time and how this affects their functional capacity, presentation to services and their enjoyment of life. He discusses treatment, behaviours and how to support people with ID and mental health co-morbidity.
Intellectual disability and hospitalisation by Lif O'Connor
Lif O’Connor (Clinical Nurse Consultant) speaks of Hospitalisation. She discusses:
- supporting the person with ID in the community and the different roles of health staff they will interact within the health system
- communicating with the person with ID and their carer
- complex case discussions and the transfer of care (including discharge from hospital)
- transitioning from paediatric to adult health services.
Intellectual disability and respiratory health by Dr Andrew Ng
Dr Andrew Ng (Respiratory and Sleep Physician) speaks about:
- maintaining good respiratory health
- signs of respiratory infection
- causes of aspiration
- treating respiratory problems.