Energy diet - high
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To provide a diet containing more energy than can be achieved on the full diet alone.
Full diet plus extra foods and supplements. Often combined with a high-protein diet.
Typical default mid-meals:
- AM: Half sandwich + flavoured milk + extras as desired
- PM: Cheese and biscuits + flavoured milk + extras as desired
- Supper: Flavoured milk + extras as desired
- unintentional weight loss or decreased food intake
- anorexia nervosa
- in combination with other therapeutic diets that may result in reduced energy intake (e.g. low protein).
Dietitians may need to consider ordering high-energy supplements. An additional protein source (e.g. a boiled egg) may be offered at a main meal for people with high protein requirements or large body weight. For anorexia nervosa patients, care may be required to limit low-energy vegetable intake.
Not to be combined with diets that restrict fat or sugar.
Not suitable for use in paediatrics.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||All||-|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||All|
High-energy mashed potato
|Vegetables||All, with added margarine||-|
|Soups||All others||Clear and low-fat soups|
|Salads, dressings||Salads offered once a day only||-|
Cereals served with cream
|Hot breakfast choices||All||-|
|Fruit||Canned fruit + glucose / dextrose polymer available at all meals||-|
|Yoghurt||Full-fat yoghurts||Low-fat and diet yoghurts|
Serve thin cream with cakes
|Milk and cheese||All, preferably full fat||-|
All others, including soft drinks
Juice with glucose / dextrose polymer at all meals when juice is available
Glucose / dextrose polymer (e.g. Polycose®) added to foods and beverages
- Dietitians Association of Australia. Nutrition manual. 8th ed. Canberra: DAA; 2009..
- American Dietetic Association. Nutrition care manual. Chicago: ADA; 2009. [accessed 26 April 2010].
|Specific menu planning guidelines - Miscellaneous||In Not Allowed, deleted Low-fat dressings|
|Specific menu planning guidelines - Desserts||In Allowed, deleted others (i.e. will be just All)|
|In Not Allowed, deleted Fruit or jelly served without milk dessert, ice-cream or cream|