Allergy diet - no capsicum / chilli
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To provide a diet that strictly excludes all capsicum.
Avoids all foods containing capsicum and members of the capsicum family, including chillies, and their derivative products in all forms including fresh, dried, concentrated and powdered. This includes paprika, paprika oleoresin and paprika extract.
Allergy, intolerance or dislike to capsicum and members of the capsicum family.
- It is not possible to provide a full list of all permitted commercial products; the following are general guidelines only. Care should be taken to read all product ingredient lists to look for capsicum in ingredient list.
- Clarification is required for foods that contain compound ingredients (e.g. vegetable powders) to determine their components.
- Patients with a capsicum allergy may also need to avoid other vegetables from the Solanacea family such as potato, eggplant and tomato.
Suitable for use in paediatrics when combined with an age-appropriate diet.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||All others||Dishes made with capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
|Sauces, gravies||All others||Sauces containing capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives e.g. Tabasco, sweet chilli sauce|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||All others||Starch-based dishes containing capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
|Vegetables||All others||Capsicum or chilli and their derivatives|
|Soups||All others||Soups containing capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
|Sandwiches||All others||Capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
All other salad ingredients
All other salad dressings
Capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives
Salad dressings with capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives
|Breads, cereals||All others||Savoury breads or muffins with capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
|Hot breakfast choices||All others||Items containing capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives (e.g. Spanish omelette)|
|Milk and cheese||All||-|
|Beverages||All||Vegetable juice containing capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives|
|Biscuits||All others||Biscuits with capsicum and/or chilli derivatives e.g. some flavoured crackers|
All other herbs and spices, vinegar, lemon wedge
Salt and pepper#
Chutneys and pickles including capsicum and/or chilli and their derivatives
# Note: Members of the capsicum family may also be referred to as ‘peppers’ by some cultures. However the pepper derived from black peppercorns (Piper nigrum) is not related to the capsicum family
- Department of Environment and Primary Industries. Capsicum (peppers) and chillies (1997, updated 2013).
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Allergy Unit. RPAH Elimination diet handbook. Sydney: RPAH; 2010
|Title of Specification||Title changed from Allergy diet - No Capsicum (Strict) to Allergy diet - no capsicum/chilli|
|Characteristics||Added This includes paprika, paprika oleoresin and paprika extract|