Protein diet - high
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To provide a diet containing at least 105g protein per day (i.e. ~120% of the full diet)
Full diet plus addition of extra high protein or protein-fortified foods and supplements. Often combined with a high-energy diet.
Mid meals should contain at least 10g protein.
Examples of midmeals:
- AM: Half sandwich + flavoured milk + extras as desired
- PM: Cheese and biscuits + flavoured milk + extras as desired
- Supper: Portion-control liquid nutritional supplement + extras as desired
Milk-based desserts should be available at both lunch and dinner.
- unintentional weight loss or inadequate food intake
- protein energy malnutrition
- high protein requirements (e.g. liver disease, burns)
This diet could be combined with the low energy diet for people with higher protein requirements but low energy requirements.
Dietitians may need to order high-protein supplements.
Not suitable for use in paediatrics. Refer to the Therapeutic Diet Specifications for Paediatric inpatients: Protein - High Paediatric.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||All||-|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||All|
High-protein mashed potato
|Soups||Offer a Band 1 soup at each meal||Clear soups|
|Sandwiches||One Band 1 sandwich offered at least twice per day||-|
|Salads, dressings||Salads with at least 10g protein per serve||-|
|Hot breakfast choices||All|
Preference for protein containing foods (e.g. eggs, baked beans, yoghurt, cheese, sausages, bacon)
Band 1 or 2 desserts should be offered at lunch and dinner
|Milk and cheese||All||-|
Offer milk with all main meals and mid meals
High protein nutritional supplements, snacks, milks and beverages to be available
Sugar, salt, pepper, nuts and seeds, sweetener, cream, herbs and spices
- Dietitians Association of Australia. Nutrition manual. 9th ed. Canberra: DAA; 2014.
- Agency for Clinical Innovation. Nutrition Standards for adult inpatients in NSW hospitals. Sydney: ACI; 2011.
- Maher AK, editor; Iowa Dietetic Association. Simplified diet manual. 10th ed. Ames: Blackwell; 2007.