Fluid restriction diet - nil on tray
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To avoid all beverages provided to patients requiring strict fluid restriction.
No beverages or soup are provided to patients at either meals or mid-meals.
Controlling fluid overload in patients with dementia, confusion or non-compliance who have:
- end stage renal failure or dialysis
- congestive cardiac failure
- liver failure with ascites
- dysphagia / swallowing difficulty.
This diet is nutritionally adequate.
Water jug should not be left by bedside. Solid food choices to be allowed depend on diet prescription. Fluid intake and measurement remains the responsibility of nursing staff.
Suitable for use in paediatrics when combined with an age-appropriate diet.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Sauces, gravies||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Vegetables||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Sandwiches||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Salads, dressings||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Breads, cereals||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Spreads||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Hot breakfast choices||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
As allowed by diet prescription
Canned fruit drained of juice
Portion-control fruit snack pack opened and drained of juice/syrup
|Yoghurt||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Desserts||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
|Milk and cheese|
Milk for cereal only
Cheese as allowed by diet prescription
|Biscuits||As allowed by diet prescription||-|
- American Dietetic Association. Nutrition care manual. Chicago: ADA; 2009.
- Maher AK, editor; Iowa Dietetic Association. Simplified diet manual. 10th ed. Ames: Blackwell; 2007.
- Dietitians Association of Australia: Australia and New Zealand Renal Guidelines Taskforce. Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of chronic kidney disease. Nutr Diet 2006;63 Suppl 2:S35-45.
- Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, Feldman AM, Francis GS, Ganiats TG et al. ACC / AHA guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: A report of the American College of Cardiology / American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2005;105:e154-234.
- Gines P, Cardenas A, Arroyo V, Rodes J. Management of cirrhosis and ascites. N Engl J Med 2004;350(16):1646-54
|Specific menu planning guidelines - Fruit||In Allowed, deleted All canned fruit drained of juice, unless portion-control snack pack used|
|In Allowed, added Canned fruit drained of juice, Portion-control fruit snack pack opened and drained of juice/syrup|