Parenteral nutrition (PN) and food diet
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To provide appropriate food to those who require oral intake in addition to parenteral feeding.
All foods are compliant, therefore this diet should always be ordered in combination with the appropriate diet for the patient. For example “PN – and food” plus “smooth puree”.
- post surgery / medical procedures
- as a transition from parenteral feeding to a normal diet
- to supplement inadequate oral intake.
Individual likes and dislikes need to be considered when planning this diet.
Suitable for use in paediatrics when combined with an age-appropriate diet.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||All||-|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||All||-|
|Hot breakfast choices||All||-|
|Milk and cheese||All||-|
- Dietitians Association of Australia (WA Branch) and Health Department of Western Australia. Nutrition manual. Perth: DAA (WA); 1997.
- American Dietetic Association. Nutrition care manual. Chicago: ADA; 2009.