Allergy diet - no tomato (strict)
This document is part of the ACI Diet Specifications for Adult Inpatients. It is not to be used for patient education.
To provide a diet that strictly excludes all tomato.
Avoids all foods containing tomato; including fresh, tinned, concentrated paste or dried e.g. tomato powder.
Allergy, intolerance or dislike to tomato.
- It is not possible to provide a full list of all permitted commercial products; the following are general guidelines only.
- Care should be taken to read all product ingredient lists to look for tomato or derivatives as ingredients.
- This diet removes tomato only, it is not recommended to use this diet for patients with latex allergy or glutamate intolerance unless it has been assessed as suitable by a dietitian.
Suitable for use in paediatrics when combined with an age-appropriate diet.
Specific menu planning guidelines
|Hot main dishes||All others|
Dishes made with fresh, tinned or dried tomato or tomato paste
|Sauces, gravies||All others||Tomato or tomato-based sauce|
|Starchy vegetables / pasta / rice||All others||Starch-based dishes containing tomato|
|Vegetables||All others||Tomato or dishes with added tomato paste/powder|
|Soups||All others - check labels||Tomato soups or soups containing tomato ingredients|
All other salad ingredients
All other salad dressings
Salad dressings with tomato ingredients
|Breads, cereals||All others||Tomato-flavoured savoury breads|
|Hot breakfast choices||All others|
Grilled tomato or items containing tomato (baked beans, spaghetti, Spanish omelette)
|Milk and cheese||All||-|
|Beverages||All others||Tomato juice, or vegetable juice containing tomato|
|Biscuits||All others||Biscuits with tomato derivatives e.g. some flavoured crackers|
Salt and pepper
Chutneys and pickles including tomato
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Allergy Unit. RPAH Elimination diet handbook. Sydney: RPAH; 2010.
- Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA). Food intolerance information for patients, carers and consumers (2014). [accessed 20 July 2015]