The ACI hosted a Frailty Forum on Friday 7 February 2020, bringing together 200 people from around NSW to share work and discuss frailty in NSW. The Forum was jointly sponsored by ACI’s Chronic Care, Aged Health, Nutrition and Rehabilitation Networks.
At the Forum we heard about some great initiatives happening in NSW. Clear recurring themes were showcased:
- Identification and awareness of frailty is critical.
- Physical activity, mobilisation and strength training is important.
- Good nutrition is key.
- Medication management across all settings of care is required.
- Coordinated, integrated care is essential.
- Multidisciplinary teams and communication pathways are the backbone to all of the above.
List of presentations
- Dr Keith Watson (Retired Academic) & Sarah Hobson (Transitional Aged Care Program and Compacks Manager, NSLHD) – A consumer perspective: “Weed if you must”
- Keynote Presentation: Professor Sue Kurrle (Geriatrician, Hornsby Ku-ring-gai and Eurobodalla Health Services; Clinical Director NSLHD Rehabilitation & Aged Care Network; Curran Chair in Health of Older People Faculty of Medicine & Health, University of Sydney; Frailty Taskforce Executive member) – Frailty in clinical practice: an evidence-based approach
- Associate Professor Peter Gonski (Geriatrician, Director of Aged Care, Sutherland Hospital) – Dealing with the “F” word – Frailty Integrated Care Model – Continuity Program/Vitality Clinic
- Kamilla Haufort (Strength for Life Coordinator, Council on the Ageing (COTA) NSW) – Strength for Life model
- Kerry Gourlay (Clinical Nurse Specialist, St George Hospital) – Integrated Patient Optimisation Program (IPOP)
- Frail proofing - Professor Maria Fiatrone Singh MD (John Sutton Chair of Exercise and Sport Science, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine & Health, University of Sydney) & Sandeep Gupta (Head of Physiotherapy, Balmain Hospital, Rehabilitation Network Co-Chair and Frailty Taskforce Executive member)
- Dr Janne Beelen (Sensory & Consumer Researcher, CSIRO Agriculture & Food) – Development and health impact of protein-enriched foods and drinks for elderly people: learnings from a Dutch project for application in Australia
- Dr Jenny Gibney (Speech Pathologist, Nepean Hospital) – Research: Improving mouth cleanliness
- Rachel Kingma (Speech Pathology Manager, War Memorial Hospital) – Revealing dysphagia: swallowing screening and education of frail elderly individuals
- Dr Kelly Lambert (Program Director – Nutrition & Dietetics, School of Medicine, University of Wollongong) – Nutritional status predicts speed and degree of functional improvement and discharge outcomes in frail rehabilitation patients
- Sarah Dinh (Project Officer: Quality use of medicines, NSW Therapeutic Advisory Group) – Targeting medication-related harm in older hospitalised patients
- Karen Errington (Clinical Nurse Consultant, RACF Outreach Team – Aged, Chronic Care & Rehab, SLHD) – Supporting advanced care planning for frail residents of aged care facilities
- Professor Judy Lowthian PhD (Principal Research Fellow & Head of Research, Boston Clarke Research Institute) – Being your best: an innovative co-designed approach to frailty
- Daniel Simpson (Coordinator, Integrated Care, Clinical Systems Integration, NSW Ambulance) & Lauren Cowgill (Extended Care Paramedic Program Coordinator & Clinical Educator, NSW Ambulance) – NSW Ambulance: A unique perspective
- Carla Sunner (PACE-IT Project Manager, HNELHD Nursing & Midwifery Research Centre) – PACE-IT – Partnerships in aged care emergency services using interactive telehealth
- Eleanor Sawyer (Project Lead: Care of the Older People Clinical Network, SaferCare Victoria) – Interstate perspective: End PJ Paralysis
- Summary of Slido questions - Frailty Forum