The Randwick campus redevelopment Green Travel Plan and implementation plan sets out:
- future targets for staff travel mode share, specifically a reduction in car driver mode share
- travel demand management strategies for visitors, patients, staff and supplier/service personnel to encourage sustainable travel to and from the Randwick Hospitals Precinct
- initiatives to implement and monitor such travel measures.
The implementation of the measures identified in the Green Travel Plan will encourage staff currently driving to and from the campus to use more sustainable travel modes. The plan sets a minimum target mode to shift away from single occupancy private vehicle use of 6% by 2022.
There are a number of health and environmental co-benefits associated with this project, which include:
- increased physical activity
- reduced cardiovascular and respiratory disease from air pollution
- reduced stress on the morning commute
- reduced parking, petrol and car maintenance costs
- reduced traffic congestion
- reduced traffic injuries and accident.
The Randwick Hospitals Campus is being strengthened with new investment. A new acute services building for the Prince of Wales Hospital will open in 2022 and the South East Light Rail starts operation in late 2019.
The Green Travel Plan is a package of measures implemented by Randwick Hospitals Campus to encourage more sustainable travel for the journey to and from work, and also during the course of work. It is a means for Randwick Hospitals Campus to reduce the use of cars by staff, particularly driving to and from work, and for work related travel. Through the Green Travel Plan, Randwick Hospitals Campus is also demonstrating its commitment to a more proactive approach in improving people’s health and wellbeing and the environmental sustainability of its activities.
- Work with the Randwick Hospitals Campus partners to develop and implement the Green Travel Plan.
- Proactively engage and consult with patients, families, community, staff and relevant government agencies to refine and implement the Green Travel Plan initiatives. This includes travel surveys and promotions around ride-to-work day.
- Installation of end-of-trip facilities such as bike racks, showers and lockers.
- Working with transport authorities to improve bus timetables.
- Setting up car-pooling apps and ride-share schemes.
- Public transport information will be provided to staff and wayfinding through the hospital will be integrated with surrounding public transport nodes.
- Supporting active transport and highlighting the ‘Make Healthy Normal’ campaign.
- Expanding Opal card top-up facilities across the campus.
Pre-implementation - Planning for the initiative is well underway. Clinician and/or consumer consultation has occurred.
The implementation of the plan will be evaluated by 2022.
Randwick Hospitals Campus:
- Prince of Wales Hospital
- Prince of Wales Private
- Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick
- Royal Hospital for Women.
- Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick
- Transport for NSW
- Health Infrastructure
- Staff consultative committees
- Consumer and community reference groups
- Local school and surrounding community organisations.
- University of New South Wales
- Randwick City Council.
An annual travel survey is recommended as the mechanism to monitor progress in reaching the target. Survey data will be used to further tailor the Green Travel Plan measures to ensure the target is achieved.
Environmental Sustainability Lead
South Eastern Sydney Local Health District
Phone: 02 9382 7865