When you sleep better, your pain is better.
It can be helpful to understand your sleep patterns to help you manage pain. It is also helpful to monitor sleep patterns when you are trying new ways to manage your sleep, to see if the changes are working.
Sometimes it can be hard to remember or keep track of your sleep patterns, that is, when you go to sleep, how often you wake up through the night, and when you get up in the morning. When you sleep better, your pain will be better.
Try filling out the sleep diary for two weeks, as this will give you a good idea of your sleep patterns.
It should take only a few minutes to fill out every morning. Set a reminder for the morning and put the diary next to your bed.
Each morning write down:
- what time you went to bed
- how long did it take you to fall asleep
- how many times did you wake up during the night
- what time did you get out of bed this morning
- how many hours of sleep did you get last night.