How to support self management
Help people learn, apply and incorporate effective pressure management strategies into their daily life.20
- Involve family and care givers
- Consider technology based tools that will facilitate52
- learning (Eg. E-learning packages, interface pressure mapping)
- adoption of strategies (Eg. Audio reminders) and
- individually tailored advice (Eg. Telemedicine programs).
- To monitor their own skin and wound, the person may choose to take photos or video on their own phone or camera
- Facilitate the person to develop a personal action plan:
- List specific goals and behaviours needed to heal the wound
- Identify and list barriers to achieving the goals and strategies to address these barriers
- Specify a follow up plan
- Share the plan with family, carers, health care team20
This can be implemented through various approaches such as motivational interviewing, The Five A’s, Health Coaching and The Flinder’s Model for example.