Pressure Injury Toolkit For Spinal Cord Injury and Spina Bifida
Beyond the wound - Bringing best practice to the bedside
- ‘Think beyond the wound’
- Work collaboratively with other health professionals to investigate the cause AND contributing factors that impact upon wound healing and the success of the management plan.
- Investigate ALL contributing factors
- Even if it is not the cause, it is necessary to investigate ALL contributing factors in order to optimise wound healing.
- Re-assess wound healing regularly
- Monitor progress and reduce the risk of developing a chronic wound or other complications by using a validated wound assessment tool.
- Psychosocial impact
- Monitor the psychosocial impact and other psychological and lifestyle barriers to wound healing.
- Form a partnership with family and carers
- For children and adolescents, engage and collaborate with family and carers in the assessment and goal planning process.