Patient Experience and Consumer Engagement
We believe that the best innovation and healthcare improvement can only come from listening to and understanding what people need and want.
Our vision is for consumers and families to be equal partners in health care improvement in NSW.
HOW WE WORK WITH CONSUMERS, FAMILIES, CARERS AND STAFF
Our Patient Experience and Consumer Engagement: A Framework for Action outlines how we work with consumers, families, carers and staff to make healthcare better in NSW.
You can use this Framework to plan engagement activities when designing, implementing or evaluating improvements, activities, products and services.
Understand, Act, Empower
PDF Document 494Kb
What is experience-Based Co-design?
Experience-based co-design is a collaborative approach that brings consumers, families, carers and staff together to improve health services.
In experience-based co-design the people who use and deliver health services are engaged to share their experiences and design improvements together.
What Experience-Based Co-design Projects are we supporting?
We have used experience-based co-design to build collaborative partnerships and facilitate health service improvement in six different health settings in NSW.
The projects include:
- Hospitalisation of People with Intellectual Disability
- Rehabilitation Services
- Blood and Marrow Long-Term Follow-Up
- Young people with Urinary Incontinence
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Adult Community Mental Health Services
What are the important features of Experience-Based Co-design?
There are three important features of experience-based co-design: ‘Experience’, ‘Co’ and ‘Design’
- ‘Co’ means that consumers, families and staff are working together from start to finish with equal say, decision making and responsibility
- ‘Experience’ highlights that we need to gather real stories from people to understand their experiences of what is going well and what would be better
- ‘Design’ clarifies that we are identifying the why, what and how to make things better in partnership with consumers, families and staff
MUSIC & MEMORY PILOT IN NSW HEALTH
We partnered with the Arts Health Institute to bring Music & Memory to 21 health services in NSW.
Music & Memory is an accredited program that brings personalised music into the lives of people through digital music technology.
REAL TIME FEEDBACK FROM PATIENTS, FAMILIES, CARERS & STAFF
The PEACE Team within the ACI aims to support NSW Health to capture and use patient, family, carer and staff experience in health care improvement.
The Real Time Feedback program supports ACI initiatives, Centre for Healthcare Re-design projects and LHD / SHN projects with a cloud based system to design, run & report on surveys in real time.
The real time feedback system is available to NSW Health services at no cost.
WHAT IS PATIENT EXPERIENCE?
Patient experience is a key part of high quality health care. There is also an important link between patient experience, safety and effectiveness.
Patient Experience Tools and Resources
- A comprehensive literature review on how best to engage consumers and communities
- A summary report of the key themes that emerged from the staff and consumer surveys
- The full report detailing comprehensive analysis of the feedback and key quotes
OUR ACI CONSUMER COUNCIL
Our Consumer Council is made up of a group of people from diverse backgrounds that want to make a difference and improve healthcare in NSW.
Each member of the Council has their own experiences with NSW Health, interest and motivation to enhance the way we collaborate with consumers, families and staff at ACI.
PATIENT EXPERIENCE AND CONSUMER ENGAGEMENT TEAM AT ACI
Manager, Patient Experience and Consumer Engagement
Phone: 9464 4684
Clinical Networks, Taskforces and Institutes
- Aboriginal Chronic Conditions Network
- Acute Care Taskforce
- Aged Health Network
- Anaesthesia Perioperative Care Network
- Blood and Marrow Transplant Network
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation Network
- Burn Injury Network
- Cardiac Network
- Chronic Care Network
- Chronic Care for Aboriginal People Program
- Clinical Genetics Network
- Drug and Alcohol Network
- Endocrine Network
- Gastroenterology Network
- Gynaecological Oncology Network
- Institute of Trauma and Injury Management
- Intellectual Disability Network
- Mental Health Network
- Musculoskeletal Network
- NSW Diabetes Taskforce
- Nuclear Medicine Network
- Nutrition Network
- Ophthalmology Network
- Pain Management Network
- Palliative Care Network
- Radiology Network
- Reducing Unwarranted Clinical Variation Taskforce
- Rehabilitation Network
- Renal Network
- Respiratory Network
- Rural Health Network
- State Spinal Cord Injury Service
- Stroke Network
- Surgical Services Taskforce
- Transition Care Network
- Urology Network