Auburn Healthcare Neighbourhood
The Western Sydney Local Health District, Western Sydney Primary Health Network, and NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation are working together with providers, managers and consumers of health and social care services to build the Auburn Healthcare Neighbourhood.
The Auburn Healthcare Neighbourhood has a multicultural focus and particularly aims to improve healthcare experiences and outcomes for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
The Western Sydney Healthcare Neighbourhood Partnership Committee (WSHNPC) is overseeing the trial of the Auburn Healthcare Neighbourhood. The WSHNPC includes representatives from the:
- Agency for Clinical Innovation
- Auburn Diversity Services Inc.
- Cumberland Council
- Western Sydney Local Health District
- Western Sydney Primary Health Network
- Sydney Children’s Hospital Network
Auburn is located 24 kilometres west of Sydney in the Cumberland Council local government area, on the traditional lands of the Darug people.
Auburn is one of the most multicultural communities in Australia with large communities of people from China, Turkey, Lebanon, Nepal, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Vietnam.
- 70% of residents were born overseas
- 95% of residents have at least one parent who was born overseas
- 83% speak a language other than English at home
Source: ABS 2016
Key health services Auburn include Auburn Hospital and Auburn Community Health Centre which are both part of the Western Sydney Local Health District.
Activities and events
The WSHNPC has been holding focus groups and discussion groups in and around the Auburn area to find out about healthcare in Auburn from the people in the local community, community leaders, and health and social service providers. This has included consumer focus groups conducted in the Arabic, Dari and Mandarin languages.
People from Auburn can also have their say about local healthcare by completing the Multicultural Health in Auburn NSW survey on the WentWest CommunityHQ website.
Information shared by people in the local community is being used to plan a series of workshops where health and social service providers will identify ways to provide better care for the people of Auburn.
Visit the Events page for upcoming events in the Auburn Neighbourhood.
Links and Resources
- Information sheet: What is a Healthcare Neighbourhood?
- Information sheet: What is the difference between the Auburn Healthcare Neighbourhood and Auburn HealthOne?
- CommunityHQ - Western Sydney Primary Health Network's online community hub
- Cumberland Council Community Information Directory
- Cumberland Council Services