Operating Theatre Efficiency Workshop
“Time In, Time Out, Time Over!”
The Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) and the Ministry of Health hosted the Operating Theatre Efficiency workshop on Friday 20 September 2013.
The Presentations at the workshop covered a variety of topics including:
- effective operating theatre management – strategies for working with health professionals and case studies for improving access for elective and emergency surgery
- data collection and reporting – opportunities with Health Round Table database, improvements in data collection systems and a reflection of data management at a local level
- activity based funding – the importance of data collection to accurately identify and predict theatre costs, and inventory tracking to accurately reflect the costs associated with surgical procedures.
The workshop concluded with a facilitated group discussion.
Key priority areas were identified by the workshop attendees to improve surgical efficiency and operating theatre management and to inform the development of statewide Guidelines for Surgical Efficiency.
Predictable Surgery: Next Steps
Prof Donald MacLellan
Surgery Efficiency Workshop: Operating Room Costing
Dr David Dean
Local Operating Suite Data Reporting
- Benchmarking the OR's key indicators. (2011). OR Manager, 27(2), 12-3. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Levtzion-Korach, O., Murphy, K. G., M.D., Madden, S., & Dempsey, C. (2010). For urgent and emergent cases, which one goes to the OR first? OR Manager, 26(7), 1-3. Retrieved from (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- McIntosh, C., Dexter, F., Epstein, R.H. (2006). The Impact of Service-Specific Staffing, Case Scheduling, Turnovers, and First-Case Starts on Anesthesia Group and Operating Room Productivity: A Tutorial Using Data from an Australian Hospital. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 103(6), 1499-1516. Doi: 10.1213/01.ane.0000244535.54710.28. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Macario, A. (2010). What does one minute of operating room time cost? Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, 22(4), 233-236. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Mathias, Judith M,M.A., R.N. (2011). Surgical scheduling: Taking an important role to the next level. OR Manager, 27(3), 1-3. Retrieved from (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Patterson, P. (2010). Is your OR leadership team up to health care reform challenges? OR Manager, 26(6), 1-7. Retrieved from (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Patterson, P. (2011). OR dashboards: A useful tool for telling a story through data. OR Manager, 27(2), 1-9. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Team agreement, competition boost record for on-time starts. (2010). OR Manager, 26(8), 1-1, 8, 10. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Tracking data, changing behavior. (2011). OR Manager, 27(2), 10-1. Retrieved from (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- What makes an OR “highly reliable”? (2010). OR Manager, 26(2), 16-8. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)
- Why are case-time estimates so often off? (2008). OR Manager, 24(4), 21-2. (CIAP link, NSW Health only)