Clamping a pleural drain is contraindicated in any patient receiving positive pressure ventilation or NIV.
Pleural drains should only be clamped on medical orders in specific circumstances which include:
- post pneumonectomy
- during drainage of large volumes of fluid
- in preparation for removal of large bore intercostal catheters
- for short periods to drain collected fluid from drain system tubing
- for change of bottle and /or tubing
- to assess for air leaks
- if is not possible to maintain the drainage system below the patient's chest e.g. moving a patient from bed to bed.