Meaningful and effective engagement and participation needs to be supported by strong community and workplace culture underpinned by shared values.41
- Auditing and redesigning environments through appropriate lived experience working groups.
- Ensuring there are equal numbers of staff and people with a lived experience on the co-design team.
- Recognising and reducing barriers to participation.
- Allowing people to be authentic and honest without fear of consequence and judgement.
- Acknowledging and valuing everyone’s contributions.
- Sharing knowledge and lessons learnt among each other.