Back to accessibility links
Intellectual Disability Toolkit
Resources to support the healthcare of people with an intellectual disability in NSW.
- Appointment letter
Easy to read appointment letter for the parent or guardian of a person with intellectual disability, includes feedback form
- Discharges from Hospital - Intellectual Disability Case Studies
Case studies and the discussion of ten discharge scenarios based on the experiences of people with an intellectual disability.
- Expert Roundtable on Transitioning Young People with Intellectual Disability and Mental Illness to Adult Health Services: Summary Report
- A Clinician’s Guide: Caring for people with gastrostomy tubes and devices - From pre-insertion to ongoing care and removal
This guide is the result of collaboration between the Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) and the Gastroenterological Nurses College of Australia (GENCA). It provides national evidence based guidelines for caring for people with a gastrostomy tube or device. Using the guidelines, clinicians can access practical information about the different stages of the patient journey from deciding to initiate gastrostomy tube feeding to permanent tube removal transition or transfer of care.
- Intellectual Disability Research Guidelines
The Guidelines assist in evaluating whether research relating to people with an intellectual disability is inclusive of them, especially when considering whether to support / partner with others in research activities.
- Issues raised by clinicians during consultation on mapping of health services for people
ACI mapped health services for people with intellectual disability in NSW. This report has the clinicians' responses to the question: Do you have any suggestions for improving services for people with Intellectual Disability, their families and carers’ unmet needs?
- Patient Journeys
Analysis and transcripts of interviews with people with intellectual disability and their carers
- NSW Health policies with particular reference to Intellectual Disability
To assist in the support of people with intellectual disability and their families / carers, this document aims to identify and summarise those policies, guidelines and frameworks with particular reference to disability (including intellectual disability) and hospitalisation.
- Transitioning Young People with Intellectual Disability and Mental Illness to Adult Health Services: Summary
- Including people with disability checklist
Checklist for planning, developing, implementing and evaluating policies, programs, procedures and strategies to include people with disability
- Pharmacological strategies for children with developmental disability during investigations or procedures
- Position statement on the importance of a NSW intellectual disability data set
The NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation therefore proposes that NSW Health undertake work to develop a system for identifying and tracking people with intellectual disability as they enter and move through the health system.