Increasing Access to Cataract Surgery
The Increasing Access to Cataract Surgery forum was hosted by the NSW Minister for Health & Minister for Medical Research on 27 August 2018 at NSW Parliament House. This half day workshop brought together expert clinicians, health service managers and executives to identify:
- Challenges for accessing cataract surgery
- Successful models for improving access
- Recommendations for implementation
Two reports were produced to support to provide further information on the topic; Business Rules for Ophthalmology clinics A summary report of current practice and High Volume Cataract Surgery Review of models and recommendations for NSW Health. These reports are not meant to be comprehensive but are snapshots of current practice. The High Volume Cataract Surgery Review of models and recommendations for NSW Health provides one approach however it is not suggested that all patients or sites would be suitable for a high volume surgical list.
A recommendation from the forum was to develop a cataract surgery referral form for NSW public ophthalmology clinics.
A workshop was convened of key eye health stakeholders from across the sector together with health managers and members of the NSW Ministry of Health and the ACI to discuss the contents of a form and associated guidance. The resulting form will be piloted at the four hospitals that attended the workshop in preparation of a wider launch.
- Assessment for Cataract Surgery - Guidance for Referrers
- Patient Referral Form (PRF) - Assessment for Cataract Surgery (Generic)
- Patient Referral Form (PRF) - Assessment for Cataract Surgery (Prince of Wales Hospital)
- Patient Referral Form (PRF) - Assessment for Cataract Surgery (Sydney Eye Hospital)
If you would like to be involved in the trial and/or have any feedback on the form or guidance please contact Sarah Jane Waller, Ophthalmology Network Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Ophthalmology Network Manager
Added: 6 August 2020
Added: 30 July 2020
Added: 29 July 2020
Added: 28 July 2020
Type: PDF File (2.0 MB)
Added: 28 July 2020
Type: PDF File (1.2 MB)