NSW Trauma System Research Grant Scheme 2021
Applications for research funding – Enhancing the outcomes of trauma patients in rural and regional NSW
The NSW Institute of Trauma and Injury Management (ITIM), a network within the Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI), is the peak clinical advisory body for trauma system monitoring and evaluation in NSW. As part of ongoing initiatives to develop and improve the NSW trauma system, ITIM provides focused research grants for trauma clinicians to undertake research and analyses that look at new ways to improve trauma care and improve our understanding of trauma. These projects grants are designed to:
- facilitate ongoing collaboration across the trauma system
- increase research capacity among clinical teams caring for trauma patients
- increase the likelihood of further funding through other competitive research grant schemes.
In 2021-22 the priority area is enhancing the outcomes of trauma (severe physical injury) patients in rural and regional NSW. A total funding pool of $60,000 is available to fund this research grant scheme. Only one project will be supported in this funding round. In addition to funding, in-kind support from ITIM is also available to provide and analyse data.
Applications will be assessed in a blind review process and short-listed by members of the ACI ITIM Executive. Successful applicants will be required to enter into a funding contract with the ACI. They will also need to present regular progress reports to the ACI and present or publish the project at relevant scientific meetings.
Submissions will only be accepted via the following form (below). Please email completed applications to ITIM Research Fellow Dr Pooria Sarrami: Pooria.Sarrami@health.nsw.gov.au
- Research must be related to enhancing the outcomes of trauma patients in rural and regional NSW
- There should be a tangible plan for translating the research findings into practice in order to improve outcomes in the future.
- Research being conducted in NSW
- The chief investigator must be affiliated with one of the NSW Local Health Districts (LHD)
- The team conducting the research has a proven track record in research
- A clear research goal is established and demonstrated.
Evaluation of the applications
Applications will be evaluated and scored based on the following characteristics:
- Succinct research background that demonstrates the importance of research aim
- Rigorous research method, which is clear and consistent with the research aim
- The likelihood of projects providing benefits to the NSW trauma system and patients
- The alignment of the project with NSW ACI strategic priorities (See here for more information on ACI strategic plan)
- Realistic project timeline that allows sufficient time for successful project completion.
- Applications open on 1 March 2021
- Applications close on 19 April 2021
- The successful grant will be announced on 10 May 2021
- Funding contracts finalised by 31 May 2021.
Submissions will only be accepted using the application form.
Please email completed applications to Dr Pooria Sarrami, ITIM Research Fellow, at Pooria.Sarrami@health.nsw.gov.au by the due date.