Electronic Medical Record
The Electronic Medical Record (eMR) is an online record, which tracks and details a patient’s care during the time spent in hospital. Over time, the national roll out of the eMR will begin to replace paper-based records by integrating patient information in a central system. This will allow authorised clinicians to access a patient’s records from multiple locations with the aim being to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of care.
NSW Health Electronic Medical Record Website, NSW Health
This website provides more information about what eMR is, why it is being introduced in NSW and has links to e-learning.
Firstnet is the eMR application selected by the NSW Department of Health to support the operation of emergency departments. Since it has been introduced in NSW FirstNet has been the subject of much discussion regarding it's suitability to meet the clinical, functional and usability requirements of the users.
The following resources have been collated to provide further information on the issues identified, curent situation and planned action surrounding Firstnet.
FirstNet Remediation Program
The FirstNet Remediation Program has been established to improve the operation and effectiveness of FirstNet in hospital emergency departments.
Voice recognition was recently piloted in Manly Emergency Department. This report includes the findings and evaluation of the project. Dr Marty Sterrett gave a presentation on the voice recognition system at the ECI ED Leadership Forum on 13 March 2015, entitled Successful use of Speech Recognition Technology in the ED.
A study of an enterprise health information system, John A. Patrick, released 4 March 2011
Presentations on eMR:
- eMR: improvements are ahead - Paul Higgins, ICT Emergency Department SME, eHealth NSW at the ECI Nursing Leadership Forum 19 May 2017
- Emeds in NSW EDs: coming to your ED soon, Andrew Hugman, Emergency Physician and eMEDs Clinical Lead, Prince of Wales Hospital at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 1 April 2016
- Nursing and medical perspectives on clinical care sets and pathways, Lynne Keith, Education Coordinator (Medicine / Emergency), Austin Health at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 1 April 2016
- Electronic medication management, Richard Paoloni, Emergency Physician, Concord Repatriation General Hospital at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 1 April 2016
- eMR: what's on the horizon? Panel Discussion at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 1 April 2016
- The IT Agenda for Emergency Care in NSW, Dr John Lambert at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 13 March 2015
- Why our ED would like to trial a non-FN EDIS, Dr Peter Roberts at the ECI ED Leadership Forum 13 March 2015