Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program
The Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (BIRP) aims to lead and co-ordinate:
- Development and maintenance of a network of services.
- Establishment of a clinical services network that promotes seamless care and improves access to services for people with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
- Development of improved treatment co-ordination resulting in best practice care for patients receiving brain injury rehabilitation.
- Research and evaluate services and outcomes for people with TBI.
- Funding and co-ordination of public awareness and information programs on brain injury.
There are 3 adult and 2 paediatric inpatient BIRP teams in the TBI greater metropolitan area.
Adult Inpatient teams:
- Liverpool Hospital, Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit
- Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney, Brain Injury Rehabilitation Team
- Westmead Brain Injury Rehabilitation Services
- Referral Form to the Metropolitan Units
Paediatric Inpatient teams:
- Children's Hospital at Westmead, Brain Injury Rehabilitation Team
- Sydney Children's Hospital, Brain Injury Rehabilitation Team
- John Hunter Children's Hospital, Kaleidoscope
Non-inpatient BIRP clients can be referred to our metropolitan or rural and regional units. Services that are provided range from Transitional Living Programs to Outpatients/Community Outreach or Community Rehabilitation Programs.
- Metropolitan area
- Rural and Regional areas
BIRP paediatric services provide rehabilitation, advice and consultation for inpatient and non-inpatient children and young adults. All regional and rural units have specialised outpatient/ community based paediatric services.
- Paediatric Brain Injury Rehabilitation Services
Statewide BIRP Service Contact List
The NSW Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (BIRP) is a network of 15 metropolitan and rural inpatient, transitional and community specialist rehabilitation services for children, young people and adults following a severe traumatic brain injury.
For detailed information about the NSW BIRP units, please contact the units individually.
|PAEDIATRIC SERVICES||Phone||Fax||Web Page|
|Brain injury services at Kids Rehab at The Children's Hospital at Westmead||+61 2 9845 2132||+61 2 9845 0685||View|
|Sydney Children's Hospital Brain Injury Rehab Team (Randwick)||+61 2 9382 0178||+61 2 9382 0177||View|
|Paediatric Brain Injury Rehabilitation Team (Newcastle)||+61 2 4925 7963||+61 2 4925 7955||View|
|GREATER METRO SERVICES||Phone||Fax||Web Page|
|Liverpool Hospital Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit||+61 2 8738 5495||+61 2 8738 5497||View|
|Royal Rehab Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Ryde)||+61 2 9808 9222||+61 2 8415 8902||View|
|Westmead Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service||+61 2 8890 7941||+61 2 9635 8892||View|
|Hunter Brain Injury Service (Newcastle)||+61 2 4924 5600||+61 2 4924 5610||-
|Illawarra Brain Injury Service||+61 2 4223 8470||+61 2 4223 8484||-
|RURAL SERVICES||Phone||Fax||Web Page|
|Dubbo Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program||+61 2 6841 8559||+61 2 6800 2360||-
|Mid Western Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program (Bathurst)||+61 2 6330 5114||+61 2 6330 5765||-
|New England Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Tamworth)||+61 2 6767 8350||+61 2 6766 9343||-
|North Coast Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Balina)||+61 2 6620 6361||+61 2 6620 6348||-
|Mid North Coast Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Coffs Harbour)||+61 2 6659 2300|
|Mid North Coast Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Port Macquarie)||+61 2 5525 0585||-
|Southern Area Brain Injury Service (Goulburn)||+61 2 4825 4911||+61 2 4825 4921||-
|South West Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service (Albury)||+61 2 6041 9902||+61 2 6041 9928||-
|(Wagga Wagga)||+61 2 5943 1636||-||-
Brain Injury Rehabilitation Network
Brain Injury Rehabilitation Network Manager