ACI Cultural Respect
One of the ACI’s three strategic objectives is better health outcomes for all: Working with our clinicians, patients and health care partners we contribute to improving the health of the population and the experience of care and in doing so, share accountability for health outcomes, quality and cost of care. We are committed to equity of access for all people.
ACI Aboriginal Cultural Respect Framework
The key strategic initiative identified to meet this objective is to: develop a culture within the ACI which demonstrates respect for the needs and priorities of Aboriginal people and other priority populations in all ACI projects and activities.
- Trust and cultural respect
- Recognition of Aboriginal culture and traditions
- Wholistic approaches to health
- Participation of Aboriginal people in decision making
ACI Cultural Competency Implementation Plan
A Cultural Competency Implementation Plan has been developed for the organisation, which aims to support how the ACI will implement culturally competent processes into every day work. The Implementation Plan includes objectives and initiatives such as:
- Establish a process to bring Aboriginal perspectives (from both LHD & Community Controlled experience) into ACI decision making structures.
- Maintain an ongoing collaboration process with the NSW Ministry of Health (MoH) Centre for Aboriginal Health, ( MoH ) Health Promotion Branch and Office of Preventative Health
- Undertake campaign/process to increase Aboriginal membership of Networks and Network Executives and/or effective input, involvement, consultation and provision of advice to Networks and portfolios.
- ACI Aboriginal Employment Strategy
- Continue Cultural Competency development activities
- Continue Facilitators Role in ACI
- Set targets to Close the Gap in Portfolio Work plans and ACI Operational Plan and Identify projects (with Directors and Managers of Aboriginal Health) to help achieve this
- Ensure effective application of Aboriginal Health Impact Statement Process
- Evidence Review – Chronic Care for Aboriginal People
- Develop respectful practices in research and evidence.
- Establish expertise to work with Aboriginal communities in relation to in Patient Experience and Community Engagement.
- Develop an approach to impact measurement e.g. PRMs
- Evaluate/Review Implementation Plan
- Communicate progress of plan to staff and stakeholders
- Update Information on Intranet.
ACI Aboriginal Employment Strategy
The ACI is committed to workforce diversity and has developed an Aboriginal Employment Strategy to increase the representation of Aboriginal employees at the ACI through appropriate recruitment and retention and strategies, providing career development opportunities and ensuring that we become an organisation which demonstrates a high level of cultural competence within our staff and the work we do.
This strategy focuses on four key priorities:
- Attract Aboriginal staff
- Retain Aboriginal staff
- Support career development and progression
- Improve cultural competency in the workplace.
Development of this strategy has involved consultation with:
- Aboriginal staff at ACI
- ACI Executive
- ACI Cultural Competence and Safety Working Party
- Aboriginal Workforce Unit, NSW Ministry of Health
- National Centre for Cultural Competence (NCCC).
The ACI is bound by the following NSW Health policies:
- NSW Health Good health – Great Jobs: Aboriginal Workforce Strategic Framework 2016 - 2020. The Aboriginal Workforce Strategic Framework 2016 - 2020 is intended to support Local Health Districts, Specialty Networks and other NSW Health organisations to grow and to develop their Aboriginal workforce.
- NSW Aboriginal Health Plan 2013-2023. This Plan sets the framework using six key strategic directions to close the gap in Aboriginal health outcomes, by spreading responsibility for achieving health equity for Aboriginal people in NSW across all NSW Health operations.
- NSW Aboriginal Health Impact Statement and Guidelines. The Statement and Guidelines is to ensure the needs and interests of Aboriginal people are embedded into the development, implementation and evaluation of all NSW Health initiatives.
- Respecting the Difference: An Aboriginal Cultural Training Framework for NSW Health. This Framework will assist increasing cultural competencies and therefore promote greater understanding of the processes and protocols for delivering health services to Aboriginal people. See also Respecting the Difference Cultural Training Course.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Origin - Recording of Information of Patients and Clients. This policy directive outlines the requirements for collecting and recording accurate information on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status of all clients of public health services in NSW.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples - Preferred Terminology to be Used. "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples" should always be printed in full and terms such as "ATSI" should not be used.
- Welcome to Country Protocols Policy. Recognition of Aboriginal peoples' unique position in the history and culture of NSW.